Niamh's Musings

Join Niamh at home and on tour... the people she meets, the music she loves and the turns in the road.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

At Home

Well - here in Dublin it is the most miserable Sunday weather I can remember
since I was a kid! But I'm off to the Cobblestone to see the new graduates
of the Ballyfermot School of Music - the traditional section. The 2nd years
are wonderful musicians and singers - and I'm sure they'll do well in the
future.

I went last night to the Pavilion Theatre to see the musicians on this years
Irish Network Tour. Dave Hennessey, Máire Breatnach, Donal Clancy and Gary
Walsh - what a night of absolutely stunning music. Manchester born Gary is a
flute player who has played tunes he got from his Irish father and mother,
tunes he's known all his life. But when he came to live in Cork, he
discovered that nobody knew any of these tunes, and he discovered that these
tunes had been hidden from the general traditional public for 2 generations!
Himself and Dave catalogued about 200 of them, and put some on a brilliant
album called 'Uncovered' - I was so impressed with these lovely tunes, some
from West Cork, some from Co. Louth area - sweet tunes, jigs, reels,
waltzes, hornpipes etc. so the whole night last night was made up of these
tunes and it was the most beautiful music I've heard in a long time. Of
course I'm highly biased when it comes to Máire Breatnach who, to me, is THE
most talented Irish musician. Some of her own compositions were included in
the set too.

Must go and brave the weather!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home