Niamh's Musings

Join Niamh at home and on tour... the people she meets, the music she loves and the turns in the road.

Friday, November 02, 2007

Ceoltoir Concert

I know, I know - it's been too long since I wrote a blog.......never have the time really - but had to write about last night's gig in Whelans with the pupils and past pupils of the Ballyfermot College - it was a wonderful night of music - each act played about 20 minutes and I was left crying for more! The night started off with first and second years, including the two sisters, Danny from Glasgow, Paul and Stevie from Dublin - fabulous opening act. Then on to the lovely Laura Murphy - who sang and played really beautifully. She was followed by Gavin Whelan, Tony Byrne and Tony who's name I can't remember on bodhran - a brilliant performance, with a wonderful slow air, and great lift to his music. Na Bac finished the first half, and I was really, really impressed, especially with the singer - what a great voice, and great selection of songs and music.

The second half opened with Jacqui Martin and friends including Mick Broderick for some really beautiful traditional music. They were followed by Sinead Nic Gearailt, who played the most stunning version of Carolan's Farewell to music -you could hear a pin drop. The night was ended with a rousing set from Dave Munnelly, Theresa Kavanagh, Paul Kelly, Tony Byrne, Caoimhe Hogarty and a latecomer - Gerry banjo O'Connor - Caoimhe was superb........ her Donal Og is just the best I've ever heard.....and of course Dave Munnelly was as vibrant and witty as ever. I was very, very proud of all the past and present pupils. A lot stayed on in Whelans and I lasted until 2.30 ......but the night was not over for some!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home